Camera gear to cover an ARC rally
- 28th March 2014, 1:13am
The second round of the Australian Rally Championship is just a few days away and rally photographer, Michael Vettas, is packed and ready to go - with just about more camera gear than you could ever use.
Michael takes up the story ….
“Going on a rally means I need to make sure I have all the gear I could possibly need with me, but I tend to have the ‘just in case’ gear, the ‘essential’ gear and some of the ‘I might try that’ gear.
Below is most of my gear laid out. I also have a set of Neutral Density Lee Filters and Tiffen Filters, the Olympus OM-D EM-1 with Olympus 12mm Prime, which was used to take the photo below, and I need to try and fit it all in the ThinkTank Photo Urban Disguise 50 V2, which is on loan from a good friend.
I also have another bag with two other tripods, Manfrotto clamps, suction cups, magic arms and heavy gear, which I leave permanently with one of the rally teams in their truck.
Here is a shot of the gear.
1. Olympus 75mm Prime & Olympus 12-40 2.8
2. My GPS which has so much rally information stored in it I would be lost without it
3. Manfrotto 054 MAGNESIUM BALL HEAD
4. 3 Legged Thing X1.1 BRIAN 5 SEC CARBON FIBER
5. ThinkTank Photo Memory Card Wallet with 12 16GB Sandisk Extreme CF Cards
6. 5D MarkIII Battery
7. (4) Extra 1DX Batteries
8. (2) Pocket Wizard remote trigger cables
9. (24) AA Batteries
10. Go Pro Hero 3+ Black Edition
11. Go Pro Hero 3 Black Edition
12. (4) Pocket Wizard Plus III Transceiver
13. Canon 1DX
14. Canon 1DX
15. Canon 5D Mark III
16. Canon 50mm f1.2L
17. Canon 24-70mm f2.8L II
18. Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II
19. Canon ST-E3
20. (4) Canon 600EX Speedlites
21. Go Pro Battery Pack
22. Go Pro housing
23. Go Pro Suction Cup Mount
24. Canon 300mm f2.8L I
25. Canon 14mm f2.8L
26. Canon 16-35mm f2.8L II
27. Cooling plate base for my laptop
28. Sony Vaio 13′ Laptop with 1TB Samsung 840EVO SSD
29. 256GB Samsung SSD duplicate of HDD in Laptop as backup
30. Variuous cables and bits and pieces including the Lexar USB 3.0 CF SD Card Reader, Internet Wifi USB stick
31. As above
32. (3) WD 2TB External Hard Drives
33. Apple iPad Mini
34. AudioFly Headphones
35. SanDisk 64GB CONNECT WIRELESS MEDIA DRIVE with an Additional SanDisk EXTREME SDHC CLASS 10 (45MB/s) 32GB
Along with this I have a duffle for my clothes and anything else I can cram in - wet weather gear for my cameras, a small screw driver tool kit for minor repairs, cleaning gear and anything that I don’t need to have in my carry-on.”
Michael is getting ready to head off on a two month trip around the world, visiting WRC events. He’ll be blogging for www.rallysportmag.com.au during his trip, and providing images from the events in Argentina, Italy, France and Spain. It promises to be some trip.
- Full access
- Exclusive news
- Store & Tour discounts