Dowel wins Akademos Rally
- 15th October 2007, 9:28am
The Akademos Rally featured reconnaissance on Saturday and the rally on Sunday – a feature that has made the event popular in recent years.
In perfect spring weather, it was ARC front-runner Brendan Reeves who set the initial pace in his Impreza WRX, but he went off the road and beached his Subaru on the third stage, enabling Lee to take charge.
Also to retire after on 0ff-road excursion on SS3 was Brenton Kaitler in a Lancer Evo 6.
With Dowel and Robison at the front of the pack, Craig Morris took third place in his ageing Lancer Evo 3, equal with Warren Lee’s Lancer Evo 2, with the Impreza WRX of Mark Fawcett.
Fawcett still leads the Victorian Rally Championship, but after bending the rear suspension on his car and finishing fifth, his lead is now only two points over Dowel.
The leading two-wheel drive car home was the Nissan 200SX of Brian Semmens.
1. Justin Dowel/Matt Lee, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 9, 70:35
2. Jesse Robison/Sam Robison, Subaru Impreza WRX STi, 71:56
=3. Craig Morris/Carrie Morris, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 3, 73:05
=3. Warren Lee/David Lethlean, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 2, 73:05
5. Mark Fawcett/Simon Ellis, Subaru Impreza, 73:09
6. David Nutter/Catherine Taylor, Subaru Impreza WRX RA, 73:52
7. Nathan Reeves/Scott Spedding, Subaru Impreza RS, 74:42
8. Kirk Marks/Sarah Marks, Subaru Impreza WRX RA, 75:13
9. Brian Semmens/David Leoncini, Nissan 200SX RV S12, 75:57
10. Liam Dunn/Stefanie Hillier, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 3, 76:12
Brendan Reeves/Rhianon Smyth, Subaru Impreza WRX, off road
Brenton Kaitler/John Allen, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 6, off road
- Full access
- Exclusive news
- Store & Tour discounts