Ogier holds off Latvala for day one lead at Wales Rally GB
- 14th November 2014, 10:38pm
Volkswagen duo Sebastien Ogier and Jari-Matti Latvala dominated day one of Wales Rally GB, each winning four stages, but it was the 2014 World Rally Champion who held the lead at the end of a wet day of competition.
Both drivers admitted to finding the conditions difficult with Latvala confirming he had almost rolled after hitting a hole on the first stage.
“It was difficult to drive this morning but I really enjoyed the stages,” Ogier said. “This afternoon was just a question of surviving. Conditions were slippery and I was fighting the car all the way,” he said.
On his final WRC event before retiring, Ford’s Mikko Hirvonen holds down third place at the overnight break.
Overall Classification after Day One, Wales Rally GB
1. S. Ogier / J. Ingrassia (Volkswagen Polo R WRC) 1:26:28.9
2. J.M Latvala / M. Anttila (Volkswagen Polo R WRC) +6.6
3. M. Hirvonen / J. Lehtinen (Ford Fiesta RS WRC) +1:13.8
4. K. Meeke / P. Nagle (Citroën DS3 WRC) +1:21.5
5. M. Østberg / J. Andersson (Citroën DS3 WRC) +1:22.2
6. T. Neuville / N. Gilsoul (Hyundai i20 WRC) +1:33.9
7. E. Evans / D. Barritt (Ford Fiesta RS WRC) +1:50.3
8. O. Tanak / R. Molder (Ford Fiesta RS WRC) +2:29.4
9. H. Solberg / I. Minor (Ford Fiesta RS WRC) +2:39.5
10. M. Prokop / J. Tomanek (Ford Fiesta RS WRC) +2:49.8
12. H. Paddon / J. Kennard (Hyundai i20 WRC) +4:01.0
- Full access
- Exclusive news
- Store & Tour discounts