Penhall wins 2012 Mt Porepunkah Rallysprint
- 6th September 2012, 9:49am
Penhall was clearly the fastest driver on the day, leading home the Nissan Silvia of Alan Friend and Michelle Canning in the North Eastern Car Club-organised event.
Held just outside Bright in Victoria's north east, the event was held in perfect spring weather, with a cool frosty morning followed by clear blue skies.
Competitors completed eight stages for the day. The morning saw them head up and over Mt Porepunkah from the Bright side, while the afternoon's stages were held in the reverse direction.
Competitors were scored on their fastest run on each stage, meaning that only four of the eight special stages counted towards the final results.
This worked in favour of Andrew Daniell and Simon Rowland, who finished third in their Lancer Evo 3, despite rolling out of the event on the penultimate stage.
Fourth place went to Grant Walker and Craig Thomas in their immaculate Ford Escort RS1800, while former ARC star, Glen Raymond, finished fifth in an under-powered 1987 Toyota Corolla.
Twenty-six cars started the event, with seven competitors not completing all eight stages due to mechanical problems or off-road excursions.
Photos: John Doutch
2012 Mt Porepunkah Rallysprint
Car No., Driver / Co-Driver, Vehicle, Total Time
1. Tristan Penhall / Jolie Middleton, Subaru Impreza WRX, 55m56s
2. Alan Friend / Michelle Canning, Nissan Silvia, 56m39s
3. Glen Raymond / Luke Simpson, Toyota Corolla, 57m31s
4. Andrew Daniell / Simon Rowland, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo III, DNF - Rolled
5. Neil Schey / Scott Middleton, Ford Escort RS1800, 58m54s
6. Grant Walker / Craig Thomas, Ford Escort RS1800, 56m55s
7. Brendan Brown / Samantha Robison, Datsun 180B SS, 60m36s
8. Steven MacKenzie / Brent MacKenzie, Ford Fiesta, 59m07s
9. Justin Walker / Bianca Lowe, Ford Escort MK 2, 57m37s
10. Brian Shand / Mick Dalton, Mitsubishi Starion Turbo, DNF - Gearbox
11. Tony Moore / Nikki Moore , Hyundai Excel, DNF - Fuel pump
12. Craig Jarvie / Silvia Jarvie, Holden Commodore, 62m16s
13. Les Adams / James Adams, Holden Commodore, DNF - Diff
14. Paul Eccles / Alysha Eccles, Subaru Impreza WRX, 59m52s
15. Andrew Kavanagh / Tom Ruessman, Datsun 180B, DNF - Gearbox
16. Jon Lambie / Adam Wright, Ford Escort, 70m32s
17. Michael Long / Vaughan Haskett, Datsun 180B SS, 72m09s
18. Dean Price / Jenna Kelley, Proton Satria, 62m00s
19. Peter Morrison / Susan Wasson, Hyundai Excel, 65m57s
20. Tony Morley / Rodney Hunt, Subaru Impreza WRX, 59m54s
21. Stuart Lawless / Darcy O Connor, Ford Escort, DNS
22. Sean Gibson / Stephen Eccles, Ford Falcon, DNF - Gearbox
23. Troy Brendel / Samantha Brendel, Ford Escort, 65m24s
24. Owen Polanski / Doug Fernie, Mazda RX2, DNF - Off road
25. Ryan Humphreys / Sandra Cuttle, Toyota Corolla, 61m20s
26. Matt Leoncini /David Leoncini, Hyundai Excel, 64m44s
27. Robert Mckerlie / Nick Seymour, Hyundai Excel, 64m46s
SUBSCRIBE BELOW TO READ THE FULL STORY
By clicking "Subscribe Now" you agree to receive news, offers and updates on RallySport Magazine. If you do not wish to receive marketing communications, you can update your preferences in My Account.
We will commence charging your payment method after the 7 day free trial expires. If you cancel after expiry of your trial, cancellation will take effect from the end of your current monthly subscription period. You will not be refunded any fees paid to RallySport Magazine unless otherwise set out in the terms and conditions.