Simonson leads Rally Tasmania
- 18th February 2007, 8:56am
Lake Mountain Sprint winners Alan Simonson and Ben Searcy lead Rally Tasmania after the second day of competition in their Lancer Evo 9.
The pair lead the tarmac event by 19 seconds from Cody Crocker and Ben Atkinson in a Subaru Impreza WRX, with locals Jason and John White third in a Lamborghini Gallardo.
The Imprezas of Eli Evans and Tony Longhurst are fourth and fifth, with Jim Richards a distant sixth in his Porsche after engine problems.
Keith and Mary-Anne Callinan lead the Heritage section in their De Tomaso Pantera, with a seven second lead over the Ford Escort of Steve Hoinville.
The Callinan’s sons, Daniel and Tim, are third in a Holden Commodore.
The event continues today (Sunday).
Modern category top 6:
1. Simonson / Searcy - Mitsubishi EVO 9
2. Crocker / Atkinson - Subaru Impreza WRX , +19s
3. White / White - Lamborghini Gallardo, +8s
4. Evans / Murphy - Subaru Impreza WRX, +38s
5. Longhurst / Andrews - Subaru Impreza WRX, +41s
6. Richards / Oliver - Porsche 911, +15s
Heritage category top 6:
1. Callinan/Callinan, De Tomaso Pantera
2. Hoinville / Hoinville - Ford Escort RS 1600, +7s
3. D Callinan / T Callinan - 79 Commodore, +37s
4. McDonough / Wilson - 71 Ford Capri, +30s
5. Stack / Forgie - 73 Porsche 911, +6s
6. Laucke / Laucke - 74 Porsche Carrera, +3s
- Full access
- Exclusive news
- Store & Tour discounts