Control tyre for British Championship
- 29th September 2006, 8:27am
The 3 year agreement with Pirelli sees the BRC introducing a prize fund to be spread across all classes in the Championship with every finisher receiving prize money on every round.
In addition to the substantial prize fund, Pirelli have introduced a driver development scheme unique to the BRC which, under their direct support, will see the winner being progressed in their careers.
The move to a single tyre supplier for the championship is the latest step made by the BRC to ensure a level playing field to best showcase talent and ability in the six-round championship. It comes after the successful introduction at the start of the 2006 season of a control fuel and Group N regulations.
“A ground breaking package” is how BRC Manager Mark Taylor described Pirelli’s announcement to support the BRC. “This initiative will see significant benefits and a huge prize fund being ploughed back to the competitors further highlighting future talent and provide even closer competition on the stages.”
The key benefits are:
• Fixed cost tyres supplied on each of the events.
• Equal tyre availability and performance for every competitor.
• Pirelli Star Driver scheme which encompasses every class in the BRC will select a “star” winner from each of the first five events. Going head to head in a final shootout competition, the eventual winner will receive a fully funded drive in a potential championship winning, top spec car in the 2008 Championship
• Cash prize fund for BRC registered competitors in every class. BRC class winners on every rally can win up to £500, runner-up places reducing down to £100 for every finisher in each class in each rally
• Incentives for foreign drivers to enter and compete in the Championship
• Pirelli marketing enhancements and increased media profile
Pirelli won the tender process to supply Britain’s most exciting and dynamic motor sport championship after bids were submitted by five tyre manufacturers.
BRC Manager, Mark Taylor says:
“Never before in the British Rally Championship have competitors been provided with a chance to win cash prizes of this magnitude, importantly these will be structured to support all classes and registered finishers.
“The Pirelli Star driver scheme will be selected by a majority objective set of criteria that will be known by everyone and published by the end of the year. A project to identify true future talent, the principal and importantly the winner could come from any class in the BRC field. The inaugural winner will receive a fully funded drive in the 2008 BRC, but in future years we have not ruled out prizes that could see Star Drivers progress to the World stage.
“The joint Pirelli and BRC package for the 2007 season sees the benefits of a control single make tyre, providing reward for competitors, investment in Championship promotion and an undertaking from Pirelli to provide incentives to foreign drivers from Europe to come and enter the BRC.“
Paul Hembrey, Pirelli Motorsport Director, says:
“Pirelli has over 30 years of rally heritage, and is delighted to be chosen as the tyre partner for the reinvigorated BRC. The focus on group N machinery has created a substantial interest in the Tesco 99 Octane MSA British Rally Championship, and working together with BRC, Pirelli wishes to promote not only the championship, but also the development of future International Rally Stars. This is an exciting time for British rallying, and one that will evolve the BRC to once again be the premium national rally championship in the world. “
In keeping with Pirelli’s most distinctive hallmarks, innovation and research, the deal sees the very latest tyre technology being used in what is Britain’s most exciting and dynamic motor sport championship.
- Full access
- Exclusive news
- Store & Tour discounts