Gronholm wins, Atko fourth
- 5th August 2007, 9:00pm
BP-Ford driver Marcus Gronholm, continued his domination of Rally Finland, winning all of today's three stages, and taking his seventh victory on his home event.
Gronholm finished the rally 24.2 seconds ahead of team-mate, and fellow Finn, Mikko Hirvonen, whilst Sebastien Loeb (Citroen Xsara) was third.
Chris Atkinson clinched his best result for the season, with a cool-headed drive. Fourth was a well deserved result for the Australian who handled the super fast Finnish roads with ease.
In fifth place was another Ford, that of Stobart driver, Henning Solberg.
Xavier Pons made a welcome return to the WRC, finishing sixth outright in his first outing for new team, Subaru, whilst a number of young drivers rounded out the top ten.
Urmo Aava (Mitsubishi) of Estonia, scored his first ever WRC points, finishing seventh, followed by Mads Ostberg (Subaru), Guy Wilks (Ford) and Matthew Wilson (Ford).
Results: Neste Oil Rally of Finland
1. Gronholm/Rautianen, Ford Focus.
2. Hirvonen/Lehtinen, Ford Focus, +24.2;
3. Loeb/Elena, Citroen Xsara, +45.7;
4. Atkinson/Prevot, Subaru Impreza, +1:52.9;
5. Solberg/Menkerud, Ford Focus, +1:26.6;
6. Pons/Amigo, Subaru Impreza, +2:31.1;
7. Aava/Sikk, Mitsubishi Lancer, +39.1;
8. Ostberg/Unnerud, Subaru Impreza, +1:52.3;
9. Wilks/Pugh, Ford Focus, +7.5;
10. Wilson/Orr, Ford Focus, +1;34.0.
We'll have further details to follow.
- Full access
- Exclusive news
- Store & Tour discounts