Henning Solberg wins Super Special Stage
- 3rd April 2009, 7:54am
Stobart team mates Matthew Wilson/Scott Martin lined up in the stadium with Petter Solberg but were beaten by the resurgent former World Champion, finishing the winding tarmac course 1.8 seconds behind. The Briton lies in 11th place. Tomorrow the rally moves into the hills north of the Service Park where the drivers will tackle 136.21km of competitive distance over two identical loops of three stages.
Stobart VK M-Sport Ford driver Henning Solberg said:
â€œWow, that was an amazing start to the event. This was fantastic tonight and itâ€™s now the first time that I have ever led a rally. The stage was really good fun and there were so many people shouting and cheering when I beat Dani, I think it was the closest race they had seen all night. The car felt brilliant during the shakedown today and I hope we can keep the speed up tomorrow on the proper stages but Iâ€™m just so happy to have been quickest tonight and beaten the real tarmac drivers.â€
Stobart VK M-Sport Ford driver Matthew Wilson said:
â€œThe Super Special was a fun way to start off the rally, we had a good clean run and everything felt fine. It was great to see so many people pack the stadium and watch us kick off the rally, the fans here in Portugal really love their motorsport and its good that we can come here and put a show on for them. Iâ€™m looking forward to getting started tomorrow.â€
Leaderboard after SS1
1. H Solberg/C Menkerud (NOR) Ford Focus RS 2m09.6s
2. D Sordo/M Marti (ESP) CitroÃ«n +0.1s
3. M Hirvonen/J Lehtinen (FIN) Ford Focus +0.2s
4. S Loeb/D Elena (FRA) CitroÃ«n C4 +1.3s
5. J-M Latvala/M Antilla (FIN) Ford Focus RS +2.9s
6. M Gronholm /T Rautiainan (FIN) Subaru Impreza +4.5s
7. F Villagra/J Perez Companc (ARG) Ford Focus RS +5.6s
8. P Solberg/P Mills (NOR) CitroÃ«n Xsara +5.9s
9. Mads Ostberg/O Unnerud (NOR) Subaru Impreza +7.0s
10. S Ogier/J Ingrassia (FRA) CitroÃ«n +7.3s
11. M Wilson/S Martin (GB) Ford Focus RS +7.7s
SUBSCRIBE BELOW TO READ THE FULL STORY
By clicking "Subscribe Now" you agree to receive news, offers and updates on RallySport Magazine. If you do not wish to receive marketing communications, you can update your preferences in My Account.
We will commence charging your payment method after the 7 day free trial expires. If you cancel after expiry of your trial, cancellation will take effect from the end of your current monthly subscription period. You will not be refunded any fees paid to RallySport Magazine unless otherwise set out in the terms and conditions.