Six Finland victories for Gronholm
- 20th August 2006, 8:02pm
Gronholm led from start to finish in the event (apart from the very first super special stage) and won convincingly in the end. He beat championship leader Sebastien Loeb by over a minute, with team-mate Mikko Hirvonen third in the second Focus.
Henning Solberg made up for brother Petter's early exit by taking fourth in his Peugeot 307, followed by the similar car of Gigi Galli, and the Citroen of Janne Tuohino.
Subaru's Chris Atkinson ended the event in 11th place after losing over 13 minutes on the second day with gearbox and power steering problems on his Impreza.
Despite Gronholm's victory, he still trails Loeb by 31 points in the title race. The lanky Finn and the Frenchman remain the only drivers to win a round of this year's WRC. Loeb has six wins to Gronholm's three.
1. Marcus Gronholm, Ford Focus, 2h52m50.3s
2. Sebastien Loeb, Citroen Xsara, +1m06.7s
3. Mikko Hirvonen, Ford Focus, +1m34.5s
4. Henning Solberg, Peugeot 307, +3m57.8s
5. Gigi Galli, Peugeot 307, +5m39.9s
6. Janne Tuohino, Citroen Xsara, +6m05.0s
- Full access
- Exclusive news
- Store & Tour discounts