Strong finish for LWR Subarus in Targa
- 20th April 2008, 5:37pm
Both drivers completed the final day’s six stages, which covered 105km of competitive driving, impressively.
Both LWR Subarus performed faultlessly during the rally, although with fine weather for the entire event, neither Quinn nor Longhurst were able to make use of the superior handling and grip of the All Wheel Drive Subarus in the hoped-for wet conditions.
In a start to finish battle on the final day, Quinn held off a late challenge by his father, Tony Quinn, to finish four seconds ahead, in eighth place. Longhurst, meanwhile, moved into the top ten on the final morning and eventually finished in tenth place.
Speaking at the finish, both drivers were pleased with their results, although with both suffering time consuming off-road excursions during the early stages of the event, it was a bitter sweet finish.
“We’ve had a reasonable day, although I came too fast into one right hand corner and hit the Armco,” Quinn commented. “It dented my confidence, as well as the car, but it’s great to reach the finish of what has been a really tough and challenging event.”
Longhurst had reason to be disappointed. Had it not been for his misdemeanour on the event’s second day, he could have finished on the podium.
“Today was just about cruising to the finish,” he said. “There were too many of the stages which were cleanable, meaning that taking big risks wasn’t worth it.
“We’ve had a great event, all things considered, and I’m looking forward to coming back again in 2009,” he said.
The next tarmac event for the Les Walkden Rallying Subarus will be the Perth-based Targa West in early September.
Modern results - end of rally (provisional)
1. 975 Steve Glenney (SA) , Bernie Webb, (ACT) , 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 9, 7:35
2. 919 Jim Richards (VIC), Barry Oliver, (TAS), 2008 Porsche 911 GT2, 9:06 (+1:31)
3. 993 Dean Herridge (WA), Glenn Macneall (WA), 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX Sti, 9:53 (+2:18)
4. 972 Ray Vandersee (QLD), Jahmeil Taylor (SA), 2004 Skelta G-Force, 9:57 (+2:22)
5. 947 Jamie Vandenberg ( TAS), Simon Vandenberg (TAS), 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO 9, 10:20 (+2:45)
6. 945 Greg Garwood (TAS), John Allen (QLD), 2004 Porsche 911 GT3 RS, 10:25 (+2:50)
7. 913 Matt Close (VIC), Casey Close (VIC), 2000 Porsche 911 Turbo, 11:31 (+3:56)
8. 992 Klark Quinn (QLD), Natasha Deniese (VIC), 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX Sti, 11:49 (+4.14)
9. 996 Tony Quinn (QLD), Keith Wenn (TAS), 2006 Porsche 911 Turbo, 11:53 (+4:18)
10. 922 Tony Longhurst (NSW), Jameil Taylor (SA), 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX Sti, 13:07 (+5:32)
VIP Exclusive Content
Get full, exclusive access for only $6.55/month.
- Full access
- Exclusive news
- Store & Tour discounts
Already have an account? Sign in