2008 IRC rally calendar unveiled
- 30th November 2007, 8:57am
The newcomers to the series next year will be the Rally Portugal and the Principe de Asturias Rally in Spain.
After a successful inaugural season in 2007, resulting in Enrique Garcia Ojeda and Peugeot being crowned drivers’ and manufacturers’ champions respectively, the IRC has expanded its reach in 2008.
The total of six registered manufacturers so far is expected to increase next year, with new prizes to reward two-wheel drive competitors – further details of which will be released soon.
Next year’s IRC will benefit from an enhanced television package from Eurosport – Europe’s biggest television channel – which will provide up to eight hours of coverage from every event and the series website, www.rally-irc.com, will also be expanded.
Jacques Behar, the President of IRC series promoter Eurosport Events, commented: “We’ve been delighted with the growth of the IRC in its first season and now we have a very solid foundation upon which to build in 2008. We have carefully chosen the events on next year’s calendar to provide the perfect combination of surfaces, weather conditions, cultures, and marketing opportunities.
“We feel very confident of taking another step forward next year, thanks to the valued ongoing support of our drivers, teams, manufacturers and partners.”
2008 IRC PROVISIONAL CALENDAR:
• 21-23 March (Kenya) Safari Rally (gravel)
• 09-10 May (Portugal) Rally Portugal (g)
• 27-28 June (Belgium) Ypres Westhoek Rally (asphalt)
• 11-12 July (Russia) Rally Russia (g)
• 01-02 August (Portugal) Rally Vinho di Madeira (a)
• 22-23 August (Czech Rep.) Barum Rally Zlin (a)
• 12-13 September (Spain) Principe de Asturias Rally (a)
• 25 -27 September (Italy) Rally Sanremo (a)
• 24-25 October (Switzerland) Rally du Valais (a)
• 7-9 November (China) Rally China (g)
- Full access
- Exclusive news
- Store & Tour discounts