Exclusive access from $6.55/month

New Zealand has been plunged into a snap three-day lockdown, with the city of Auckland locked in for seven days, causing doubt for the next round of the NZRC.

The Rally of Coromandel stages and service park are included in the wider region affected, and at mercy of the seven day lockdown, and while case numbers since the announcement have been minimal (four on Wednesday), it is unknown what impact the numbers will have on the event due to run in two weeks.

A Level 4 lockdown is in place at present, and if it continues, would mean the rally cannot go ahead.

“We are monitoring COVID-19 lockdown updates closely and will keep in touch with you all as things progress,” organisers explained to competitors.

“We are still working towards our event and ask that any competitors who have not yet entered the Dayle ITM Goldrush Rally of Coromandel and were planning to, please get their entries in as soon as possible so that we can continue our planning and be ready once we come out of lockdown.

“We will not ask for any further payments for those that haven’t paid yet – we will extend the deadline and ask for payment once we know that the event is on track.”

The event will still be able to run under New Zealand’s Level 2 lockdown restrictions and organisers will be working hard for this such eventuality, as well as several others over the coming days.

Hayden Paddon has already clinched the New Zealand Rally Championship title, but there is a big battle ready to be played out for the minor placings.

Show Your Support

Author

Luke Whitten

Luke is part of the third generation of the RallySport Magazine team and holds a degree in marketing & communications.
Luke is part of the third generation of the RallySport Magazine team and holds a degree in marketing & communications.

Recent Posts