Rallysprint action in Bright
- 4th September 2006, 2:42pm
Organised by the North Eastern Car Club, the event has attracted a small but classy field of competitors and sees former Victorian and Australian Rally Champion, Geoff Portman, come out of retirement to drive a powerful Datsun Stanza.
The Datsun is a replica of the Datsun factory cars that convincingly won the Australian Rally Championship in 1979, and is sure to be a crowd favourite. However Portman will not have it all his own way as young Wedderburn driver, Brendan Reeves, will give chase in his Datsun 240Z.
Competitors will have four runs over two eight kilometre courses, both ascending and descending Mt. Porepunkah.
The course should suit Eli Evans’ 4WD Subaru Impreza, a vehicle noted for its exceptional traction out of corners, and while road conditions are expected to be good on the day, recent light rain that has made shaded corners a little more slippery, will play right into Evans’ hands.
Upholding local NECC honours will be Neville and Rosemary Bell (Datsun Stanza), and Grant Heywood and Ged Blum (Datsun 1600).
Action gets under way from Roberts Creek Road, Porepunkah (close to the Bright Golf Course on the Back Porepunkah Road) on Saturday at 10.30am.
A staging and service area will be the main focus of attention on the day and spectators will be able not only to see the cars being serviced regularly during the day, but will have the opportunity of watching the cars in action in the forest nearby. Full catering facilities will be provided at the main service area all day.
Top 10 entries:
1. Eli Evans/TBA, Subaru Impreza
2. Brendan Reeves/Rhianon Smyth, Datsun 240Z
3. Geoff Portman/Ian Koestveldt, Datsun Stanza
4. Damien Perkins/Hayden Taylor, Subaru Legacy
5. Brenton Kaitler/Jenna Kelly, Mitsubishi Cyborg
6. Kylie Evans/Adam Wright, Subaru Impreza
7. Dean Price/Greg Day, Proton Satria
8. Scott Spedding/Geoff Sefton, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo.1
9. Neville Bell/Rosemary Bell, Datsun Stanza
10. Grant Heywood/Ged Blum, Datsun 1600
- Full access
- Exclusive news
- Store & Tour discounts