Sainz leads Morocco Rally
- 27th September 2007, 9:27am
By clinching stage victory ahead of their team-mates Giniel de Villiers/Dirk von Zitzewitz (RSA/D), Carlos Sainz/Michel Périn (E/F) in the Volkswagen Race Touareg took the lead in the fourth round of the FIA Cross-Country Rally World Cup.
Second place overall went to de Villiers/von Zitzewitz, the winners of the first special stage, ahead of Carlos Sousa/Andreas Schulz (P/D) in the Race Touareg of Team Lagos. After suffering punctures on the first two days, the Volkswagen team of Mark Miller/Ralph Pitchford (USA/RSA) is running in fifth place, behind BMW driver Nasser Al-Attiyah.
On Thursday, one of the two longest special stages – covering a distance of 344 kilometres – is awaiting the contenders. The third leg will initially take them through dune-covered areas and later through dry, hard riverbeds.
Standings after stage 2, Zagora (MA) – Zagora (MA); 327/421 km stage 2/total
1. Carlos Sainz/Michel Périn (E/F); Volkswagen Race Touareg 2; 2h55m39 (1st); 5h22m24
2. Giniel de Villiers/Dirk von Zitzewitz (RSA/D); Volkswagen Race Touareg 2; 3h00m11 (2nd) + 5m32s
3. Carlos Sousa/Andreas Schulz (P/D); Volkswagen Race Touareg 2; 3h02m59 (4th) + 14m37s
4. Nasser Al-Attiyah/Alain Guehennec (QA/F); BMW X3 CC; 3h01m34 (3rd) + 14m58s
5. Mark Miller/Ralph Pitchford (USA/RSA); Volkswagen Race Touareg 2; 3h03m33 (5th) + 23m40s
6. Dominique Housieaux/Jean-M. Polato (F/F); Schlesser; 3h28m21 (8th) + 53m19s
- Full access
- Exclusive news
- Store & Tour discounts