Stewarts take out Strathbogie Sprint
- 28th May 2007, 9:47am
Wayne and Kim Stewart have taken victory in the inaugural Strathbogie Sprint Rally, round two of the Victorian Club Rally Series.
Based at Bonnie Doon in Victoria’s north east, the event had five stages, completed twice, for a total distance of around 80km competitive.
Rave reviews have since been flooding in for first-time director, Scott Spedding, with competitors enjoying the event format and the good quality roads.
Driving a Subaru Impreza WRX, the Stewarts took a narrow 11 second victory ahead of another Impreza, that of Matt Swan and Paul Franklin. Third place went to Hilary Evans and Doug Fernie in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 2.
The first two-wheel drive car home was the Datsun 1600 of Nowra’s Carl Stewart and Matt James, while Matthew Fenner and Stuart Blegg were fifth in a Lancer Evo 3.
The event received a full field of 60 cars, with four reserves, and was held in perfect autumn weather.
Conducted by the North Eastern Car Club, the event was sponsored by the Banksia Financial Group, Mansfield Shire, and the Bonnie Doon Hotel.
1. Wayne Stewart/Kim Stewart, Subaru Impreza WRX, 55m39s
2. Matt Swan/Paul Franklin, Subaru WRX STi, 55:50
3. Hilary Evans/Doug Fernie, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 2, 56:14
4. Carl Stewart/Matt James, Datsun 1600, 56:21
5. Mathew Fenner/Stuart Blegg, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 3, 57:57
6. Andrew Taylor/Robin Smalley, Mazda RX7, 58:02
7. Darren Crozier/Michelle Crozier, Toyota Corolla AE102, 58:20
8. Wayne Webb/Daniel Kierce, Datsun 1600, 58:23
9. Steuart Snooks/Michael Foreshew, Datsun Stanza, 58:35
10. Ross Allan/Scott Allan, Nissan Bluebird, 58:37
Photos: John Doutch
- Full access
- Exclusive news
- Store & Tour discounts