Toyota 1,2 as Evans juggernaut continues
Toyota Racing Development drivers, Simon Evans and Neal Bates, have taken the top two places on the podium in Heat 2 of the inaugural Great Lakes Rally.
Evans was threatened early in the day by younger brother, Eli, and Steve Glenney (both in Subarus), but Evans junior rolled, and Glenney left the road, as they put the pressure on.
The win gives Evans, and co-driver wife, Sue, 10 heat wins from 10 starts, an amazing performance, and almost guarantees Evans the 2007 Australian Rally Championship title. He would have to retire from both Heats of the final round, the NGK Rally of Melbourne, to not take the title.
Third place today went to Pirtek Ford Rally Team’s Michael Guest in his Fiesta S2000.
1. Simon Evans/Sue Evans, Toyota N4;
2. Neal Bates/Coral Taylor, Toyota S2000;
3. Michael Guest/Mark Stacey, Ford S2000;
4. Dean Herridge/Bill Hayes, Subaru N 4;
5. Spencer Lowndes/Chris Randell, Mitsubishi N 4;
6. Darren Windus/Jon Mortimer, Ford S 2000;
7. Glen Raymond/Matt Raymond, Subaru P 5;
8. Nathan Quinn/Wayne Parker, Mitsubishi P 5;
9. David Hills/Toni Feaver, Mitsubishi N 4;
10. Bruce Fullerton/Hugh Reardon-Smith, Mitsubishi P 5;
We’ll have a full report soon.