Wiggles wins Alpine Classic
- 17th October 2006, 10:36am
Driving an MGB V8, the pair romped home for a popular win, beating Richard Banks and Chrissie Jeffery (BMW 2002) by the smallest of margins. In third place in the Masters class were the Porsche 911-mounted crew of Domenic Votano and Mike Stephenson.
The rally offered three levels of competition, ‘Masters’ for the experienced crews, ‘Apprentice’ for those who liked their navigation a little easier, and ‘Tour’ for those who wanted an enjoyable drive without the navigational pressure.
Arthur and Garth Bransgrove (Volvo 142S) won the Apprentice category from Garth Taylor and Brian Foster (Mk.2 Jaguar), while the popular Tour class saw Peter and Sharyn McAlpine bring their newly-built Ford Cobra to the finish just 2 points ahead of Jim and Bev Richardson (Cortina GT).
A record entry list of 83 crews, by far the largest field in the history of the Alpine Classic, faced the starter at Lithgow on Saturday, October 14, ready for two days of touring and navigation. Day One wound its way west to the overnight stop at Orange after using the myriad of roads around the western side of the Blue Mountains and further west to Bathurst.
The final day took competitors in a large loop south and east of Orange to a lunch break at Trunkey, then back to Lithgow via Oberon and Hampton on roads ideally suited to classic car events. Directed by John Henderson for the Classic Rally Club, the event was well received by all crews, thanks to the weekend’s pleasant weather conditions.
The event covered nearly 800km over the two days.
1. David Wigley/Robert Smith, MGB GT V8, 3 points lost
2. Richard Banks/Chrissie Jeffery, BMW 2002, 10
3. Domenic Votano/Mike Stephenson, Porsche 911, 10 (countback)
1. Arthur Bransgrove/Garth Bransgrove, Volvo 142S, 10 points lost
2. Garth Taylor/Brian Foster, Jaguar Mk.2, 10 (countback)
3. Simon Duff/Hugh Norris, Lancia Fulvia, 11
1. Peter McAlpine/Sharyn McAlpine, Ford Cobra, 3 points lost
2. Jim Richardson/Bev Richardson, Ford Cortina GT, 5
3. John Cooper/Wendy Cooper, Ford Escort Mk.1, 6
- Full access
- Exclusive news
- Store & Tour discounts