Portman impresses in Hyundai Excel
- 20th November 2006, 8:58am
The event was won by Andrew Taylor in a Mazda RX7, but Portman and long-time co-driver Ross Runnalls finished just nine seconds from victory!
Even more impressive was that they finished a solitary second behind Darryn Snooks in a Datsun Stanza that Portman drove in a recent rallysprint. After that event Portman said the car was faster than the factory Stanzas he drove in the early eighties.
The car Portman used is one of the one-make series Excels, usually driven by Emma Cugley.
Rising star Richard Gill was fourth in a Toyota Sprinter, with Darren Roberts rounding out the top five in a similar car.
1. Andrew Taylor/Ben Courtney, Mazda RX7, 7:41
2. Darryn Snooks/David Johns, Datsun Stanza, 7:49
3. Geoff Portman/Ross Runnalls, Hyundai Excel, 7:50
4. Richard Gill/Leeham Bansagi, Toyota Sprinter, 10:41
5. Darren Roberts/Craig Roberts, Toyota Sprinter AE86, 14:02
6. Doug Fernie/Robin Smalley, Datsun Bluebird, 15:37
7. Sean Hudgson/Ian Rice, Datsun 1600, 15:43
8. Tim Stuchbery/Kate Vanderham, Holden Commodore, 17:06
9. Lucas Thorpe/Karen Brookes, Datsun 180B, 17:46
10. Gary Kendrick/Emma Kendrick, Datsun 1600, 19:57
Photos by John Doutch
SUBSCRIBE BELOW TO READ THE FULL STORY
By clicking "Subscribe Now" you agree to receive news, offers and updates on RallySport Magazine. If you do not wish to receive marketing communications, you can update your preferences in My Account.
We will commence charging your payment method after the 7 day free trial expires. If you cancel after expiry of your trial, cancellation will take effect from the end of your current monthly subscription period. You will not be refunded any fees paid to RallySport Magazine unless otherwise set out in the terms and conditions.