Stokes a deserved winner in Silver Fern
- 15th October 2006, 8:29am
New Zealand's Brian Stokes and Grant Marra have come out on top after seven days of intense rallying which has seen all the seasons the weather could throw at competitors, along with many and varied road conditions. While Stokes was on his winning way, though, dramas were unfolding behind him in the very last stages of the event, with second placed Stig Blomqvist breaking a throttle cable and having to drive the last stage using the key to turn the engine on and off.
Joe McAndrew, who passed Blomqvist stopped on the roadside fixing his car, almost didn't finish himself when the gearbox failed in the very last stage. Blomqvist managed to keep ahead of McAndrew, but by only 1 minute 40 seconds at the end.
59 of the events 69 entrants are expected to be classified finishers of the gruelling and challenging seven day event.
Provisional Results Silver Fern Rally
1. Brian Stokes/Grant Marra, Ford Escort RS Cosworth
2. Stig Blomqvist/Ana Goni, Ford Escort RS1800
3. Joe McAndrew/Murray Cole, Honda Integra Tyre R
4. Robert Murray/Stu Jenkinson, Mazda RX7
5. Brent Rawstron/Ian McKee, Porsche 91
6. Dave Strong/Brent Thompson, Honda Civic Type R
7. Grand Shand/Jeff Judd, Ford Escort RS1800
8. Garry Adcock/Mark Dalton, Triumph TR8
9. Bruce & Cahtryn Henty, Ford Escort RS2000
10. John Kershaw/Jane Buckman, Vauxhall Chevette HSR.
SUBSCRIBE BELOW TO READ THE FULL STORY
By clicking "Subscribe Now" you agree to receive news, offers and updates on RallySport Magazine. If you do not wish to receive marketing communications, you can update your preferences in My Account.
We will commence charging your payment method after the 7 day free trial expires. If you cancel after expiry of your trial, cancellation will take effect from the end of your current monthly subscription period. You will not be refunded any fees paid to RallySport Magazine unless otherwise set out in the terms and conditions.