Upton / Laidlay win Olde BP Rally
- 4th September 2006, 8:46am
The experienced duo of Alan Upton and Mark Laidlay have upstaged navigational 'guru' Ross Runnalls to win the Olde BP Tasmania Rally last weekend.
Driving a Datsun 1600, the pair finished 19 points clear of the similar car of Terry Naish and Ross Runnalls, who started the event as favourites after winning the past two Olde BP Rallies, held in Victoria.
In third place were Graham Wallis and Phil Nicholas in a Peugeot 404, followed by Dinta and Kate Officer, with Ian Swan and Matt de Vaus in third place.
Those who did not finish the event included former Australian Rally Champion, Bob Watson, whose Holden EH suffered exhaust problems.
1. Alan Upton / Mark Laidlay, Datsun 1600, 106 points
2. Terry Naish / Ross Runnalls, Datsun 1600, 125 points
3. Graham Wallis / Phil Nicholas, Peugeot 404, 202 points
4. David Officer / Kate Officer, Mitsubishi Galant, 222 points
5. Ian Swan / Matt de Vaus, Volvo 242 DL, 272 points
6. Steve Coutts-Smith / Steuart Snooks, Volvo 242 GT, 405 points
- Full access
- Exclusive news
- Store & Tour discounts