Gaines wins Border Ranges Rally
- 24th July 2006, 11:19am
In the hands of Dave Gaines and Nikki Doyle the ‘The Fat Lady’ (Datsun 240K), took victory at the ‘Amalgamated Glass Border Ranges Rally’ on Saturday, July 8.
Organised by the Gold Coast Tweed Motorsporting Club, the event is a new ‘club’ addition to the southeast Queensland calendar, but also hoped to attract a degree of participation from NSW competitors.
Based on the small township of Urbenville in northern NSW, the event listed 24 entries, of which five were non-starters. Using shire roads around a loop centred on the Urbenville Showground, Gaines and Doyle won seven stages outright, but their win did not come easily with the final gap just seventeen seconds to second-placed Stephen Tonna/Lorelle Greenwood (Evo 5 Lancer).
Including the Norco special stage at the showground which was run twice, the event offered eleven stages and 80 kilometres of competition.
Of the 19 crews who started only one DNF was recorded.
1. Dave Gaines/Nikki Doyle, Datsun 240K , 52m07s
2. Stephen Tonna/Lorelle Greenwood, Evo 5 Lancer, 52:24
3. Darren Jones/Peta Davies, Datsun 240K, 54:06
4. Ross Cox/Emma Frost, Gemini, 54:32
5. Jamie Macfarlane/Larissa Skyring, Gemini, 55:14
6. Gideon Street/Daniel Grisinger, Gemini, 56:20
7. Andy Pearce/Nancy D’arcy, Mazda 323 GTX, 56:54
8. Rod Catlow/Steve Groundwater, Gemini, 57:22
9. Luke Page/Justin Page, Proton Satria, 58:08
10. Peter Lockhart/Dave McNab, Proton Satria, 58:53
SUBSCRIBE BELOW TO READ THE FULL STORY
By clicking "Subscribe Now" you agree to receive news, offers and updates on RallySport Magazine. If you do not wish to receive marketing communications, you can update your preferences in My Account.
We will commence charging your payment method after the 7 day free trial expires. If you cancel after expiry of your trial, cancellation will take effect from the end of your current monthly subscription period. You will not be refunded any fees paid to RallySport Magazine unless otherwise set out in the terms and conditions.